- Awscli installed and configured on your system.
- Serverless framework installed on system.
- NodeJS & npm should be installated on system
- Visual Studio Code
What is serverless ?
Serverless is a tool that helps build, deploy, and manage serverless applications.
What is Lambda ?
Lambda is a compute service that lets you run code without provisioning or managing servers.
Some of the Serverless Framework features:
- The Serverless Framework is an open-source tool for managing and deploying serverless functions.
- Serverless Framework is used for creating, deploying, managing and debugging the applications you created.
- Supports multiple programming languages and cloud providers.
- Good integration with CI/CD
- Cloudformation support
Using a serverless.yml file you can create a service description. (defines your functions,events and resources)
# Step 1. Install serverless globally :
$ npm install serverless -g
We have successfully installed the serverless in our machine.
#Check the serverless version :
$ serverless -v
# Set AWS credentials we have to create user access and secret key
$ sls config credentials –provider aws –key PUBLIC_KEY –secret SECRET_KEY
#Create a folder called serverless-nodejs-app and go inside that folder
$ mkdir serverless-nodejs-app && cd serverless-nodejs-ap
# Create a serverless function,
aws-node will set the runtime to Node.js
$ sls create -t aws-nodejs -n serverless-nodejs-app
# Install project dependencies
$ npm init -y
$ npm install –save
# Open project with visual studio code editor
$ sls deploy # Your function is deployed!
# invoke the serverless function
$ sls invoke -f hello -l